Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Secret's Out

Come August 13th, or roughly thereabouts, we will embark on a new journey called Parenthood. Yes, I am pregnant. Just under 13 weeks to be exact. Two days after Matt's birthday, and just a week prior to Christmas, we made that unforgettable discovery. Now had I not listened to Kimmie, who affectionately threatened me in all sorts of ways to take the home test "or else", we probably would not have found out til much later.

We had our first Dr. appointment a couple weeks ago, where we were able to see the little heart beating on the ultrasound screen. For me, that is what made it real. Prior to that, I was somewhat in denial still.

After our appointment, I was not only extremely excited, but a rush of many other emotions came over me as well. It is a strange thing to suddenly put your wants and needs aside, and focus on those of the little person growing inside you. It is also very strange to experience the wave of emotions that go along with the increased hormone levels in your body. My husband knows first hand how up and down that ride can be! And a side note for anyone who was not aware, they lie when they call it 'morning sickness'. It is not limited to morning, and often times lasts all day and night. This was one of the first fun facts I learned about pregnancy.

I have always believed that everything happens for a reason. While we had not planned on having kids for a few more years, it seems Someone else had another idea in mind. I welcome this unexpected turn in our life. And so far all signs point in the same direction! It's amazing to me how quickly things can change, and how it all works out. Originally we were planning on taking a long couple's vacation in August, instead we will be giving birth to our first child! This will be a long, exciting, scary, tearful and joyous journey, but I'm ready. (Or as ready as I'll ever be!) Here's to the next few months, to the trials and triumphs they will bring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!! how very exciting. I found you through a friends blog.

might i add. look into Hypnobabies! I used it for the births of my sons, and know first hand that women can have pain free (drug free) births because of it! it's not too good to be true. i promise. willem's birth video is on my blog. feel free to check it out!

Sheena Marie said...

Thanks Michael! I watched your birth video quite a while back and thought it was amazing! It is one of the reasons I am going the natural route. Thanks for all your tips. I have now found a doula and will be looking into her Hypnobabies classes!

KK said...

I'm just cool like that. No one can make threats sound as fun as I can!