Tuesday, September 16, 2008

RIP Eicky

It never really hits home, until something happens to someone you know and love. I have known Eichmann since the third grade. When his family's home caught on fire, our class was asked to donate whatever we could to help them in their time of need. The only thing I had to give was a stuffed animal, King Kong. I figured it was better than nothing, and would cheer him up. Little did I know that would be the start of a great friendship. Over the years it became our own inside joke, and we would call each other and talk about how Kong was doing.

Tonight I was reading upstairs while over at my Mom's house. She was watching the news downstairs, and suddenly asked me a question from across the house. I couldn't hear her, so I went to see what she wanted. An Arlington sailor had been killed in Afghanistan, his first name was Eichmann. As I answered her question, what was his last name, "Strickland", the news confirmed it. It is such a surreal feeling to see and hear someone you know and hold dear to you be spoken about in the past tense. It is so hard to replay all the times you spent together, the memories you have of them, and know that is all you have to hold on to from now on.

Rest in Peace Eicky. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You will always be loved and missed.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080917/NEWS01/709179840#Arlington.sailor.killed.in.Afghanistan

No comments: